Critical reflection


The two goals for the module were to be able to talk much clearer and louder, and also to build the way I respond to people appropriately. 

I was not certain if I could achieve the intended goal by the end of the module as I had these problems for quite a long time. Thankfully, the class had numerous opportunities to improve our communication skills as we had in-class practices such as, for example, group discussions and pitches. This allowed us to work on our weaknesses at a consistent pace and as time progressed, I started to see changes in the way I communicate.

The presentation was the ultimate test that would show if I had achieved my goals. To be honest, I was nervous to look at the feedback I received from my peers and our professor, Professor Brad Blackstone. To my surprise, I had received a number of positive reviews about how the audience could hear and understand the points presented clearly. The practices I had done throughout the module has taught me to be more confident and vocal of the messages I intend to send.

I will continuously try to improve on the areas that I lack in, as noted from the feedback I received, and practice with my peers.

In group projects, I would always take the role as a leader as it puts me on the edge and allows me to think critically. However, for the group project, I was placed as a contributor instead. The experience was very different and I felt, at times, out of place or not knowing what to do. I had to thread carefully when discussing topics such that the opinions and suggestions I gave did not overstep the group leader’s decision. 

I learnt to trust and be respectful of my group leader’s decision. At first, I was not confident if my leader could lead efficiently. However, I began to trust in her capabilities over time. There were several areas that I could learn from her. From her stand to maintain focus on the objective of the project, to giving rational and useful feedback on the respective team member’s presentation skills, and even to reviewing the whole technical report.

I learnt that, aside from respecting and trusting my leader and team members, I have to keep an open mind and be humble while giving others the chance to lead. I might just learn something from them.

Comments

  1. Thank you, Sharif, for this well considered critical reflection. You provide good supporting info as you review some of the work you did during the term. I'm impressed by the learning you share in terms of the oral presentation, and the value of the forthright feedback you got in the process. You certainly managed well on the day of the final talk, so that mikght showsthe effectiveness of such feedback.

    I also appreciate your discussion of your learning while being a team member who is not in charge. Certainly the lesson of humility should be appropriate for each one of us.

    Thank you once again for all your hard work and the positive attitude during the term. Best wishes as you continue your learning journey!

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts